Tag Archive | "Adam Cloud"

Tags: , ,

Hartford Council Approves Treasurer’s Salary Increase

Updated 11-29-11, 11:31 a.m.

HARTFORD — The Hartford City Council on Monday voted for a resolution to increase the city treasurer’s salary.

Seven council members approved a $10, 000 salary hike for Adam Cloud. Effective January 1, 2012, Cloud’s annual salary will be $150,000. The city ordinance authorizes 75 percent of the treasurer’s salary from the city’s pension fund. The other 25 percent comes from the city’s general operating budget.

Democratic Councilman Robert Painter said he voted for the resolution proposed by outgoing Council Chair rJo Winch because the salary hike was “appropriate.”

Several city residents disagreed with that assessment. They appeared before the council on Monday to vehemently oppose the salary increase after exchanging e-mails earlier in the day with, among others, the Democratic caucus, Working Families Party Councilmember Larry Deutsch and Mayor Pedro Segarra.

The irony was not lost on Democratic Town Committee members from the first district. They appealed to Deutsch for assistance to plead their cause regarding this “fiscally irresponsible” action by the council.

“It’s a slap in the face,” said Elaine Hatcher, a DTC member.

According to Hatcher, former treasurer Kathleen Palm Devine tapped Cloud to be her replacement after she resigned in 2010.

“And once he was appointed to that job,” said another DTC member Lelia Bouyer, “ he felt he automatically should get the job.”

Both Hatcher and Bouyer also raised the issue of nepotism and cronyism, saying that Cloud and his wife were both “controlling” the city’s money. It’s unclear whether Cloud’s wife was moved to the Finance Department, or has yet to be moved.

Deutsch was the only councilmember who voted against the salary increase.

The treasurer’s salary increase comes after voters on Nov. 8  voted to rescind a salary increase for city council members. That’s because in 2008 voters approved a salary increase from $15,000 a year to $26,650. The pay hike was scheduled to take effect January 2012.



Posted in Hartford, NeighborhoodComments (1)

Tags: , , , ,

Letter: Union Stresses “Safety and Quality” For MDC Hiring Practices

April 14, 2010

Dear Hartford Guardian Editor:

I am replying to your recent [March 29 2010] Featured news article entitled, “Hartford Blacks Question MDC’s Minority Hiring Practices” discussed a group’s inquiries into how the MDC is hiring labor for the Clean Water Project.  As business manager of the Connecticut

I would like to thank MDC Chair Adam Cloud for meeting with the group and providing the necessary information and updates.  As he noted, there was a self-admitted “informational gap” by the group that has been filled by the recent job fair and Jobs Funnel graduation at the Laborers’ Local 230 offices.

Charles LeConche

However, the news article should have noted that the hiring of workers and companies is not whatsoever a union vs. non-union  issue.  Engaged contractors hire workers based upon their experience, training and the nature of the work.  In fact, since the MDC project began over a year ago, over $43.8 million has been spent with non-union, open-shop companies.

But there is still another question the news article overlooked — How many of these non-union, open-shop companies are providing the proper training and apprenticeship programs for its workers?  None.  While we spend our hard-earned tax dollars on this important regional water project, safety on the job and the quality of the work must come first and that is why the regulations are in place to ensure these standards conform with existing laws.

As the news article noted, a properly trained individual that recently graduated from the Jobs Funnel program was hired by one of the MDC contractors.  This individual sat through the classroom training and spent hours in the field to earn his apprenticeship status.  In fact, new laws have been put in place to make sure all apprenticeship laborers’ that will work on pipe projects with a P6 license need to graduate from a bonafide industry training program.  Workers without the proper licensing and training cannot be hired.

So, regardless if a contractor is union or non-union, the only real issue here is safety on the job and the quality of the work.  Because this is a critical issue, I would like to request that you continue your news coverage about MDC’s hiring practices by reviewing the compliance measures of these nonunion companies for four critical factors — minority placement, worker training, approved apprenticeship program and licensed P6 workers.

We need to make sure our workers are safe while on the job through compliance on behalf of all Connecticut taxpayers.


Charles LeConcheConnecticut Laborers’ District Council



Posted in Featured, Letters, Neighborhood, OpinionComments (2)

  • Latest News
  • Tags
  • Subscribe
Advertise Here