Tag Archive | "‘Ban the Box’ in Hartford"

Tags: ,

Hartford Council Approves Election Inquiry Committee


By Ann Marie Mesquita, Staff Writer

HARTFORD — Hartford residents are looking for an explanation about the delay at polling places in last week’s midterm election.

That’s why in a unanimous vote, the Hartford Court of Common Council on Wednesday approved two measures aimed at finding out why there was a 90-minute delay.

“Everyone wants to get to the bottom of this,” said Council Chair Shawn Wooden.

The first measure will allow a committee of inquiry to look into why the registrars failed to get voter lists to several polling places. The first meeting is scheduled for Friday at 4; 30 p.m. at city hall.

The second measure will look at the way the registrars’ office operates and recommend changes. This will looked at by the council’s operations, management, budget and legislative affairs committee.

Alexander Aponte will chair the committee, which includes Council members Cynthia a Jennings, Raul DeJesus and David McDonald. Council member Shawn Wooden will participate as a nonvoting member.

Mayor Pedro Segarra issued a statement to the press, saying: “I want to get to the bottom of what happened on Election Day, but more importantly make whatever changes are necessary to ensure voters can cast their ballot when they are supposed to.”

The committee will use its subpoena power to get documents and force registrars to testify about what happened on Nov. 4.

The committee is expected to finish its work by Dec. 31.

Posted in HartfordComments (0)

Tags: , ,

The Kennard Ray Episode Is No Reason to Change Ban-the-Box Policy


It’s foolhardy to believe that Hartford Mayor Pedro Segarra, a lawyer by trade, did not know his recent hire had a criminal background. And we hope the mayor does not use this episode as an excuse to change the city’s ban-the-box policy, a measure that the Hartford City Council passed in 2010 and which prevents the City from doing background checks until individuals are hired. The aim is to hire people based primarily on their qualifications.

On Tuesday City Hall announced two new staff appointments, one of which was a political and legislative director for the Working Families Party of Connecticut, 32-year-old Kennard Ray. On the next day, a newspaper ran a story about Ray’s criminal record.  Ray, a Hartford native, was to begin his job in the mayor’s office on Dec. 2 as a liaison to the city council, community organizations and city residents. In less than 24 hours, that changed because Ray “withdrew his name from consideration.”

Ray’s background check revealed a conviction in 1997  for the sale of narcotics, in 1998  for possession of narcotics, in 1998 for carrying a pistol without a permit and in 2004 for criminal possession of a gun.  The city’s policy is to conduct background checks on candidates by their first day of employment. Officials said they were now looking to change that policy.

On the surface, it seemed like many people at city hall want the mayor to look incompetent. The mayor, however, is not incompetent. Besides, Segarra has command of the police department and has access to legal databases with extensive court records. He could have—and might have—done his own homework. Therefore, The Hartford Guardian is slow to believe this was a political blunder.

editorialbannerthumb Nevertheless, we are quick to say that the mayor should not reverse the much- needed policy change that impacts structural inequality in the city. He should keep the ban-the-box policy. Here’s why: Because the seeds planted decades ago, there are stark inequities firmly in place today to keep people oppressed and excluded. It’s only now we are beginning to see attempts to address those disparities. Let’s continue forward—not backward.

Also, given the state of police and community interactions in the city and the state, where many police officers have actually lied on their incident reports, this should have been context for a story like Ray’s. It’s also one reason why the ban-the-box policy, a tool for removing the barriers to hiring, had been implemented across the nation. The policy helps to chip away at many of the obstacles for a segment of  society that has double the unemployment rate of white America.

Consider this fact: black and brown people are disproportionately targeted, searched and arrested by police. In some cases, research has shown that police fabricate stories, and courts rubber stamp them with outrageous sentences for these crimes.

But even if Ray was not a victim of this common history, he–like  former Gov. John Rowland and other white individuals with criminal records–should have been given a second chance.

Rowland is a convicted felon. Yet others have found a way to explain Rowland’s redemptive qualities and his qualifications. And they gave him a very public job.

Besides, research shows that because of blatant discrimination, a white man without a college degree and with a criminal record is likely to get hired rather than a college educated black person without a criminal record for comparable jobs.

Good grief to that, too.

Onlookers see this as another chapter in the book of double standards.  And they should.

The mayor should have refused Ray’s resignation, and Ray should have had more gumption to argue his own case.

If anything is to be learned from this latest episode at city hall, it is this:  Segarra should realize that the people who wrote the article that spurred this recent episode have different realities than most of his constituents–no matter how many black friends they have on Facebook. Segarra’s obligation—first and foremost—is to his constituents. And if Ray would have served them well during this position at city hall, there should have been no room to equivocate on his hiring. None.

Posted in Business, Featured, Hartford, YouthComments (4)

Tags: ,

Hartford Adopts ‘Ban the Box’ Policy


HARTFORD — Hartford Mayor Pedro E. Segarra announced Wednesday a change in the city’s recruitment and application policy that makes it more inclusive and more competitive.

According to a statement issued on Wednesday evening, the measure was “effective immediately.”

The statement went on to say that Hartford is instituting a policy change that will mirror what other cities in Connecticut are doing to best implement the “ban the box” initiative.

With the exception of Public Safety positions, this change eliminates information collection regarding criminal convictions and records information at the earliest stages of the recruit process.  Instead, this information will be obtained only when a candidate is extended a conditional offer of employment.

“I support this change because it eliminates the stigma of a wrong choice or bad decision and promotes a quicker avenue for positive re-entry.  It will also provide many otherwise very qualified candidates a second chance and an opportunity to be a productive resident in our city and in our society,” Segarra said.

However, other reports already have Hartford listed as having banned the box since 2010.

According to a July 2010  report from the National League of Cities (NLC) and National Employment Law Project (NELP), an increasing number of cities have decided to “ban the box” and remove questions on job applications asking about criminal records.

The report – “Cities Pave the Way: Promising Reentry Policies that Promote Local Hiring of People with Criminal Records” – features 23 cities and counties that have chosen to “ban the box” on their job applications that asks about an applicant’s criminal record, and defer the criminal background check to the final stages of the hiring process.

The report states that since San Francisco chose to “ban the box” from job applications in 2004, 22 other cities and counties have enacted similar ordinances or policies. The report notes that five cities – Bridgeport, CT; Hartford, CT; Kalamazoo, MI; Memphis, TN; and Worcester, MA – have joined the “ban the box” movement.

Read more here

 

 

 

 

Posted in Hartford, NeighborhoodComments (1)

  • Latest News
  • Tags
  • Subscribe
Advertise Here