A state investigation that uncovered improper use of restraint and seclusion at Connecticut’s juvenile correction facilities left out one important element, front line staff members say: their voices.
“We cannot and will not be portrayed as the enemy or the abuser of the young people we are dedicated to helping and healing,” says Suzanne Borner, a teacher at the Connecticut Juvenile Training School for boys in Middletown.
“We ask you to remember that every story has another side, and a whole lot more context. Please hear ours,” said George Register, a youth service officer of eight years.
For example, consider the story of Jennie.
A video of her being violently tackled from behind in a hallway was among those made public by the Office of the Child Advocate and became a centerpiece of the investigation‘s condemnation the juvenile facilities’ practices. Jennie had refused to return to her cell in the Pueblo Unit, the secure facility for girls.
“What people don’t realize is that back in July there was a huge riot where every single resident in the facility at the Pueblo Unit was involved. There were staff assaults. There were youth assaults. And there was mass destruction on an entire floor of the facility because the fire system was pulled,” said Sarah Levok, a youth service officer of 13 years. A fight involving four girls happened the night before the incident with Jennie.
“The staff that were still working were under the directive to make sure that they could keep the residents contained, but they still had to have some of their needs met where the kids would have to come out to use the bathroom,” said Levok.
And when Jennie was let out and refused to be locked up in her room again, staff decided they would physically escort her back into her room.
“She did have to get secure and get placed back to where she needed to be in order to keep the unit secure,” said Levok.
Jennie and a male youth service officer were injured in the incident. Last year, 160 staff were injured restraining youth at the state-run jails costing the state nearly $1 million in medical bills or lost time from work, reports the Department of Administrative Services.
The staff’s response to noncompliance of youth in their custody has been the center of debate among mental health experts and state legislators after the release of the Jennie video and seven others showing youth being violently restrained and dragged into seclusion.
Sarah Eagan, the state’s child advocate, points to state law which only permits restraint or seclusion when there is an imminent risk of injury to the child in custody or others.
“That’s not really what happened here. What we had here was a youth standing in the common area and who didn’t want to go to her room which does not necessitate the type of intervention we see here,” she explained during a webinar when releasing the videos last month.
“The fact that they see restraint and seclusion as the only response to the fight the night before is telling,” she said Friday. “They didn’t even have a clinician present. Everyone is such a danger, but they didn’t have a clinician there to help.”
In her 68-page investigation, she documents dozens of stories of youths being restrained or put into solitary confinement for extended periods of time for not following orders.
Frontline staff members counter that they are unfairly being demonized, that the videos are being taken out of context and that they are just following the training they have received to deal with what they describe as a dangerous population.
“Many of our residents are the size of full-grown adults. They are big kids with developmental temperaments of teenagers and oftentimes toddlers. Whatever their history, their diagnosis, no matter how strong our relationships with them, each and every one of our youth at CJTS at any given moment can become aggressive and violent. Each and every one of them is inherently an imminent risk to themselves and other residents and staff,” explained Peter Maylor, a youth service officer of nine years.
The primary crimes that result in incarceration for youths are mostly nonviolent offenses such as larceny or drug possession, according to the 2014 annual report of CJTS. The training school and Pueblo Unit house youth who commit crimes not serious enough to warrant handling them in the adult corrections system. Last year, 163 boys and girls under age 18 were incarcerated in adult prisons run by the Connecticut Department of Correction.
But several mental health experts said after reviewing the videos that the way the youth are handled might actually be contributing to the volatile environment.
Dr. Julian Ford, a psychiatry professor at the University of Connecticut Health Center, said the videos “show adults using force and coercion in ways that worsen — or actually create — conflict by provoking and escalating youths’ stress reactions.”
Staff members say they are just using the training they have received.
“In order for YSOs to do their work safely and effectively, we need more support from our agency. We need training moments, not ‘Gotcha’ moments. We are striving to do the best we can,” said Register.
“You don’t hear about all the times that staff are talking to kids, building relationships. There are a 1,000 times a day things are deescalated as a result of relations,” said Paula Dillon, a teacher at CJTS.
Staff members explained to reporters last week at their union hall in New Britain what preceded the incidents on the videos and shared stories of the good work that takes place inside the facilities. The unionized mental health professionals that work at the correction centers did not attend the event and have not yet publicly spoken.
With the release of the videos and the sudden changes that have been made by top officials at DCF and the public spotlight on them, they say it is hard for them to do their jobs.
“Right now our structure is compromised. Our safety is compromised and security is compromised and we are just doing our best to hold it together,” said Levok. “It is very difficult for our managers to know what to tell us. The direction that we are headed in and what to do a lot of the YSOs and staff in general are unclear what their role is. They’re doing their best to use the training.”
DCF officials have said they are working to train staff on trauma-informed best practices that refrain from using restraints and seclusion.
“The men and women working at the Connecticut Juvenile Training School and the Pueblo Girls Unit have extremely demanding jobs,” said DCF spokesman Gary Kleeblatt “The quality of these programs depends on our staff, so it is the department’s responsibility to provide them with our fullest support… We are committed to reducing the use of restraints whenever possible because we are convinced that will be better for youth and safer for staff. We thank our staff at these programs for the hard work and dedication that they bring every day as they care for these youth. We know how difficult their jobs are and will do everything possible to support the staff in helping the youth. This includes reducing physical interventions.”
Asked if any of the incidents on the videos on the tapes were problematic, staff members who met with reporters last week said no.
hose videos just portrayed us in that one moment. It just looks like people ganging up on kids and restraining them. It never goes like that. There is a great deal of counseling that goes on before anything happens physically with youth,” said James Core, a youth service officer of nine years.
Frontline staff described the hours of talking with youngsters about their problems and the “watch sheets” that show staff checking in on he children when they are in seclusion.
“There’s staff right outside the doors, watching and checking on them,” said Levok.
While she respects their perspective, Eagan said, her investigation revealed that the staff relies too heavily on restraint and closed-door seclusion as opposed to therapeutic interventions and that the agency was unwilling to investigate her concerns.
“These issues are not created by staff and are not unique to Connecticut, but rather can be found in juvenile prisons around the country,” she said. “The videos depict common protocols and procedures in the facility and the additional harms that come to youth and staff through depicted interventions.”
In the case of Jennie’s handling, DCF officials have also concluded that their personnel acted improperly, though no staff members have been disciplined for their conduct. Jennie ultimately injured herself after the incident and was hospitalized.
“We recognized immediately that that was not the best way to handle that situation and that was the finding of our own internal review,” Kristy Ramsey, the assistant superintendent of the facility told state legislators two days after the release of the videos.
So far, the legislative hearings about CJTS have included testimony from DCF officials and mental health experts. No hearings have taken place where the public has had a chance to testify, though top legislators have said they plan to hold one.
HARTFORD — A Hartford educator was honored by the Department of Education for demonstrating “exceptional skill and dedication” on her job at the L.W. Batchelder Elementary School in Hartford.
Denise R. Seel, a Lisbon resident, was named the 2016 Paraeducator of the Year by Education Commissioner Dianna R. Wentzell. Wentzell was joined Lt. Gov. Nancy Wyman and Hartford Public School officials on Monday to announce the news.
The Anne Marie Murphy Paraeducator of the Year Program recognizes outstanding paraeducator contributions to schools and communities. The program honors one paraeducator who has demonstrated exceptional skill and dedication in the performance of his/her job, thereby earning them the respect and admiration of students, teachers, administrators, coworkers, and parents.
Paraeducators assist certified teachers in the classroom and play a vital role in supporting students and creating a learning environment that engages the whole child.
“Educators are our most important resource—Connecticut is honored to count Denise Seel among them,” said Lt. Governor Wyman. “I want to congratulate Denise on receiving the Paraeducator of the Year award, but more importantly, thank her and the many others who are tireless in their commitment to our students and their futures.”
“We are so fortunate and so proud to have Denise Seel in our district. She exemplifies the best that our paraeducators have to offer our students; bringing personal and professional commitment to this very important work,” said Superintendent of Hartford Public Schools Beth Schiavino-Narvaez.
The Connecticut Paraeducator of the Year Award was named in honor of Anne Marie Murphy, a special education paraprofessional, who was killed in Newtown in 2013.
Ms. Seel was chosen among three finalists, 10 semi-finalists, and 40 district Paraeducators of the Year. The rigorous selection process, which includes candidate applications and interviews, was conducted by representatives of the School Paraprofessional Advisory Council comprised of former state Paraeducators of the Year and representatives from educational organizations and collective bargaining.
Connecticut’s Paraeducator of the Year is selected from approximately 14,000 public school paraeducators in the state and represents the profession in forums and advisory committees impacting education policy and public awareness of the successes that take place daily in schools, as well as the challenges they face.
Ms. Seel’s career as a paraeducator spans 21 years and began in 1993 at LEARN in southeastern Connecticut shortly before her son, Jamie, passed away. Jamie was diagnosed with cerebral palsy around the age of two and throughout the 17 years that he lived, she learned that her passion to help children, adults and families was going to be a lifelong commitment. This led to a working career focused on the education of children with multiple disabilities, complex medical needs and the behaviorally challenged.
Ms. Seel obtained an associate’s degree from Three Rivers Community College and she believes that “all paraeducators who work in a school should be able to recognize every student’s potential.” While working as a paraeducator she pursued and obtained a bachelor’s degree in psychology from Charter Oak State College as a way to provide excellence in education for all students.
Ms. Seel and her husband, Richard, have a son, Dr. Darren Seel, who lives with his wife, Megan, in West Charlton, N.Y. with their grandson, Samuel Seel. She will succeed 2015 Connecticut Paraeducator of the Year Geraldine Lavallee, who is a Behavior Coach at Squadron Line Elementary School in Simsbury. Ms. Lavallee will conclude her term as Paraeducator of the Year on December 31.
Ms. Seel will be honored at a ceremony on October 1, 2016 at the Four Points Sheraton in Meriden.
HARTFORD — Hartford Police arrested a suspect in the August shooting on South Prospect Street.
The suspect, Anthony Christiana, 38, of Henry Street in Hartford. He was charged with murder, criminal possession of a firearm, criminal use of a firearm and conspiracy to commit murder.
Police said that at approximately 11:57 p.m. the Hartford Police Department received several 911 reports of shots fired and a male victim shot at 52-K South Prospect Street. On arrival, a male victim was located suffering from multiple gunshot wounds to his upper torso. The victim was subsequently pronounced deceased on scene by the responding paramedics at 12:34 a.m on Sept. 1, 2015.
The victim is identified as William Prieto, 32, of 52 Prospect St. in Hartford.
The suspect was identified as On Sept. 23 and he was picked up and arrested for violation of probation (unrelated charges) on Tuesday Sept. 22, 2015.
Christiana is being held on a $1,000,000 bond. The investigation is on-going at this time.
Christiana is a convicted Felon with 9 previous Hartford arrests, police said.
EAST HARTFORD — Main Street in East Hartford was closed after a car struck two people Sunday night and police were investigating.
At about 7 p.m. police responded to a report of two injured pedestrians at 1209 Main St. The two victims, only identified as a male and a female, were taken to a nearby hospital with non life-threatening injuries, police said.
The driver, identified only as a male, stayed on scene and cooperated with police.
Main Street was initially shut down between Burnside Avenue and Prospect Street at 7:30 p.m. while police investigated.
HARTFORD — Hartford police on Monday arrested a local man for allegedly possessing a gun illegally and resisting arrest.
Amauris Flores, 21, of Hartford, was charged with criminal possession of a firearm, violating his probation from a protective order and interfering with police.
Flores, a convicted felon was taken into custody after police interrogated him at his Main Street apartment on Monday. Police found him in possession of a loaded .22 caliber revolver, which is a violation of his probation, police said.
Officers said Flores “forcefully pulled away” from officers when they tried to apprehend him. He was handcuffed after police chased him, police said.
Flores is being held on a $350,000 bond.
Posted in Hartford, YouthComments Off on Hartford Police Arrest Local Man for Illegal Firearm
BERLIN — After state police Berlin man on Wednesday was arrested for child pornography distribution.
Cory Korchman, 25, of 110 Shrub Road in Berlin was arrested on Aug. 11 after state Police Computer Crimes Unit initiated an investigation into child pornography and seized a computer and multiple computer related items.
Korchma was taken into custody and transported to Troop H-Hartford where he was processed.
He is held on $ $150, 000 bond, and presented in court on Aug. 11.
HARTFORD — The state’s college system will have a college fair for residents in August to encourage them to stay in Connecticut.
A “Super Saturday Registration Blitz” will be held at the Connecticut Community Colleges on August 22 to allow students to “Stay Near. Go Far.” with their college education. The 12 community colleges of the Connecticut State College and Universities (CSCU) system will host this event to help new community college students enroll in fall classes.
The “Super Saturday Registration Blitz” will offer one-stop access to fall 2015 class registration at the state’s 12 community colleges. On Aug. 22, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., campuses will be open for registration and application fee waivers will be available. Community college staff members will also assist students through the registration process and with class schedules, course selection, financial aid, testing and other matters. Food and refreshments will be served.
“At the Connecticut State Colleges and Universities system, we are making it easy and quick for students to enroll in fall classes,” said CSCU President Gregory Gray. “On Aug. 22, we are making community college staff available to prospective students to help get them started on the path to a college degree at the state’s community colleges — Connecticut’s best value in higher education.”
The event will be held at community college campuses statewide including: Asnuntuck Community College, Enfield; Capital Community College, Hartford; Gateway Community College, New Haven; Housatonic Community College, Bridgeport; Manchester Community College, Manchester; Middlesex Community College, Middletown; Naugatuck Valley Community College, Waterbury; Northwestern Connecticut Community College, Winsted; Norwalk Community College, Norwalk; Quinebaug Community College, Danielson; Three Rivers Community College, Norwich; and Tunxis Community College, Farmington.
WEST HARTFORD — The New Children’s Museum of West Hartford is now enrolling for the Fall 2015 semester of their Homeschool Series.
The series is designed to provide supplemental science education for homeschool students in grades Pre-K through High School.
The Museum’s Homeschool Series focuses on three science tracks: Natural Wonders, Space and Earth Explorers, and Team Science. Each class follows Connecticut State Standards and provides families with unique, inquiry-based science learning activities using museum resources.
In addition to seven weeks of hands-on, cooperative science instruction, enrollment in The New Children’s Museum’s Homeschool Association includes a family membership, standards-aligned extension, and further parent resources.
The 2015 course focus will be Physics.
The Homeschool Series will meet twice a month on Mondays, beginning Sept. 21.
To sign-up or for more information, please call the Museum’s Registration Department at (860) 231-2830 ext. 44.
Posted in Business, YouthComments Off on Fall 2015 Homeschool Association at Museum