Archive | Hartford

College Search Selects Three Finalists


HARTFORD — Three finalists were selected after a long search for a new president at Housatonic Community College, one of the 17 institutions of the Connecticut State Colleges and Universities System.

State officials said a nationwide, months-long search has been narrowed to include Dr. Athos K. Brewer, Vice President for Student Affairs, Bronx Community College of the City of New York; Dr. Paul Brodie II, Vice President for Student Services, Orange County Community College, a member of the State University of New York; and Dr. Matthew Reed, Vice President for Academic Affairs, Holyoke Community College.

“We are extremely pleased with the caliber of the candidates who applied for the position, and especially with that of the three finalists,” Chairman of the Board of Regents Nick Donofrio said. “These finalists represent the very best in higher education at this time, as evidenced by the experience and accomplishments that comprise their impressive careers to date.”

All three candidates will be visiting the Housatonic campus beginning in early December.  Reed will visit Dec. 1; Broadie will visit Dec. 2, and Brewer will visit Dec. 3.

During their visits to Bridgeport, the candidates will participate in various meetings and events with faculty, students, staff, and community stakeholders.

Posted in Business, Hartford, YouthComments (0)

Tags:

DRS Warns Residents of Housing Scams


HARTFORD —  Homeowners beware.

A new ploy claiming government agencies placed liens on the victim’s property, according to Commissioner of the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services  Kevin B. Sullivan,.

Sullivan on Monday warned state homeowners about a new ploy saying that “crooks never take time off.”

“Impersonating government officials is a popular ploy and it is being used in the letters sent to victims claiming that DRS and the IRS filed property liens against the victim,”  he said.

Officials said that the letter instructs victims to call an 800 number to resolve the matter, which is when the scammer attempts to scare the homeowner into sending a payment.

They said that if anyone receives any phone calls, emails, letters, or other communication claiming to be from the IRS or DRS and demands immediate payment for taxes should contact our department immediately.  For contact numbers,  and methods for contacting DRS can be found on the DRS website at www.ct.gov/drs.

For more information about the Connecticut tax issues, visit www.ct.gov/DRS or call 1-800-382-9463 (Connecticut calls outside the Greater Hartford calling area only) or 860-297-5962 (from anywhere). Media calls should be directed to the communications office at (860) 297-5610 or emailed to sarah.kaufman@po.state.ct.us .

Posted in HartfordComments (0)

Tags:

State Police Reports Missing Man from Nevada


NEW BRITAIN — State Police are searching for a missing New Britain man who  was last seen driving on Route 9.

According Lt. Paul Vance, Henry Williams Jr. was driving  a 2013 gray Honda  as he was  following a family member in the New Britain area.

He had a Nevada registration, 206 YKD.

Williams recently moved to Connecticut and he is not familiar with the area, police said.

Anyone who may see this car or has seen this gentleman is asked to contact State Police at 860 534-100.

Posted in HartfordComments (0)

Tags:

Hartford Police Investigate South End Shooting


HARTFORD —  Police are still investigating a Hartford man, who was shot in the face by a firefighter earlier this month. He was discharged from the hospital yesterday with his mouth “wire shut,” according to reports.

Jose Medina, 28, of 86 Webster St., in the South End, was discharged from Hartford Hospital Wednesday. No arrests have yet been made

According to a police report, officers responded to 86 Webster St. about 12:15 a.m. Nov. 2. after  someone reported that Medina was  accidentally shot in the head.

Police report said Medina was shot in his left cheek while he was being shown a handgun  by Hartford Firefighter Justin Wood, when it “accidentally discharged.”

The shooter was , police said. He was placed on paid administrative leave from the fire department, where he remains, according to Fire Capt. Helene Lynch.

Deputy Police Chief Brian Foley said the shooting didn’t seem  “nefarious.” Wood is licensed to carry a firearm and was cooperating with investigators, he said.

 

Posted in HartfordComments (0)

Tags:

Bond Commission Approves Metro-North Funds


HARTFORD — In a move to fix an “unreliable and inefficient”  New Haven-Metro North line, the  State Bond Commission approved more than $53 million for the Connecticut Department of Transportation  to begin work to replace the line’s 118-year-old Walk Bridge, a component of a larger project that will create or retain approximately 4,500 construction-related jobs, state officials said Wednesday.

The Walk Bridge, which carries over 140 trains a day and is maintained by Metro-North under contract to the State of Connecticut, malfunctioned in two separate incidents within a two week period this past summer and caused serious delays for New Haven Line commuters.

The $53 million in state funds will be used to match a $161 million federal grant awarded to ConnDOT in September under the Sandy Resiliency Project Program for states most affected by Storm Sandy. Governor Dannel P. Malloy said that Connecticut applied for the federal funding to cover the capital costs of several resiliency, or “infrastructure hardening”, projects central to the New Haven Line, including the design and full replacement of the Walk Bridge. Built in 1896, the Walk Bridge is the oldest movable bridge along the Northeast Corridor in Connecticut. The bridge will be replaced with a more resilient “bascule” or vertical lift bridge that opens for marine traffic from one side with a counterweight system and will significantly enhance the safety and reliability of commuter and intercity passenger service on the New Haven Line.

“The Walk Bridge impacts many commuters and businesses throughout New England,” said State Rep. Bruce Morris (D-140). “This bond allocation is critical. I appreciate the expedited commitment to make repairs to this aging asset.”

Other state representaives see this as a positive for all Connecticut residents.

“This bond authorization is good news, not only for Norwalk, but also for all of Connecticut,” said State Rep. Gail Lavielle (R-143). “The New Haven Line is essential to the economic viability of both Fairfield County and the entire state.

 

 

 

Posted in HartfordComments (0)

Tags: ,

Commission to Vote on Tech School Expansion


HARTFORD — Gov. Dannel P. Malloy recently  announced that the State Bond Commission on Wednesday will vote to approve $5 million for the continued expansion of the Connecticut Technical High School System’s  manufacturing programs, as well as funds for a new extended-hours program.

The State Bond Commission is scheduled to vote on the items at its Nov. 19, 2014, meeting at 10:30 a.m. in Room 1E of the Legislative Office Building in Hartford.

The governor said that this funding will help students to be  “better prepared for careers or to continue their studies in college as a result of these improvements.

State offificials said that the funds are requested to finance installation of equipment and machinery, alterations and improvements to buildings and computer and technology upgrades.

“Students in our manufacturing cluster receive the technical skills and training necessary to operate complex machines and produce high-quality products,” said CTHSS Superintendent Dr. Nivea Torres.  “Today’s manufacturing jobs require specialized computer training and Connecticut’s educational system is prepared to train young people to enter this exciting field.”

The technical system has 17 diploma-granting techinical high schools, one techical education center and two aviation maintaenance programs in the state.

Also, $434,000 is sought for extending school hours at A.I. Prince Tech in Hartford and Eli Whitney Tech in Hamden to “allow expansion of weatherization, carpentry, gas pipeline, cement masonry, and manufacturing programs,” officials said.

 

 

Posted in Business, Hartford, YouthComments (0)

Malloy to Cut State Budget


By Ann-Marie Adams, Staff Writer

HARTFORD — In an effort to close a projected $100 million deficit, Gov. Dannel P. Malloy is expected to cut the state’s budget this week.

Budget Director Benjamin Barnes in a briefing held on Monday at the state Capitol said Malloy’s administration can make that cut without legislature approval.

The proposed cut is less than one percent of the general fund. Bigger cuts would have to be approved by the legislature.

“We are trying to find things that are realistic,” Barnes said. “We will try to do it in a way that minimizes the harm to the beneficiaries—the folks who use state programs.”

Barnes said that no final decisions have been made, adding “I don’t know a number yet” on the total amount of cuts.

Legislative analysts say the state faces more than a billion in 2015, a $1.32 billion deficit in 2016, and a $1.4 billion deficit in 2017.

Malloy is scheduled to deliver the next two-year budget to the legislature on Feb. 4.

Photo Credit: Ann-Marie Adams

thehartfordguardian_10th_anniversary_458x60_01

Posted in Featured, Hartford, Nation/WorldComments (0)

Tags:

CT Lawsuit Against Malloy Set for Oral Argument


HARTFORD  —  Three Connecticut parents recently sued Gov. Dan Malloy and other state officials to stop a union leader from serving on the State
Board of Education.

The group, Connecticut Parents Union, on Monday will head to Hartford Superior Court for oral  arguments.

The parents seek the removal of Erin D. Benham, President of the Meriden  Federation of Teachers and Executive Committee Vice President of the
Connecticut American Federation of Teachers to the State Board of Education. The group said she can either serve as a union official or a public official, but not both.

“Classroom teachers have the best interest of kids at heart. Union leaders start to forget that. They focus on protecting the union instead
of teachers and children,” plaintiff Gwen Samuel said. “I’m not anti-good teacher, I’m anti-bad teacher, and the unions don’t know the
difference.”

Gwen and the other plaintiffs will be available for interview at the courthouse after oral arguments at approximately 11:30 a.m.

The lawsuit HHD-CV14-5038194-S SAMUEL, GWENDOLYN Et Al v. MALLOY, DANNEL P. Et Al, alleges that the appointment of the AFT Connecticut local president is clearly a conflict of interest and raises questions  about a quid pro quo for the teachers union’s contributions to Malloy’s re-election campaign. According to the complaint, before the appointment, the teachers union contributed $10,000 to Malloy’s campaign via the Connecticut Democratic State Central Committee and $250,000 to support Malloy through the Connecticut Forward  Super PAC.

For more information visit:

http://civilinquiry.jud.ct.gov/CaseDetail/PublicCaseDetail.aspx?DocketNo=HHDCV145038194S

Posted in Business, Hartford, Neighborhood, YouthComments (0)

Gifted and Talented School Now Enrolling


HARTFORD — Selected city residents now have the opportunity to attended a school that’s designed for the gifted and talented children.

One hundred twenty-five students received offers this week to attend the Renzulli Gifted and Talented Academy, the only Hartford Public School, where enrollment is by invitation.
Parents do not have to participate in a lottery and bus transportation to and from the school will be provided.

The academy, at 121 Cornwall Street, will accommodate up to 50 new students in the fourth through eighth grades during the current school year (2014-2015), at the beginning of the second trimester on Dec. 8.

To be invited to attend, students must score at least three grades above their current grade level in all three categories. The tests are administered to all students from third grade up.

The invitation to apply is only the first step in the process of enrolling at the Renzulli Academy. The district follows up the application with a thorough examination of the prospective student’s grades, attendance and discipline record. Recommendations from each candidate’s classroom teachers are also required.

The student candidate must also demonstrate advanced levels of knowledge, outstanding communications skills, creativity, curiosity and resourcefulness in solving problems.

Open House at Renzulli Academy will be held  Nov. 24, 2014, at 10:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., and on  Dec. 1, 2014, at 10:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.

Further information can be obtained by visiting the school’s website at http://www.renzulliacademy.com.

Posted in Business, Hartford, Neighborhood, YouthComments (0)

Tags: ,

Hartford Council Approves Election Inquiry Committee


By Ann Marie Mesquita, Staff Writer

HARTFORD — Hartford residents are looking for an explanation about the delay at polling places in last week’s midterm election.

That’s why in a unanimous vote, the Hartford Court of Common Council on Wednesday approved two measures aimed at finding out why there was a 90-minute delay.

“Everyone wants to get to the bottom of this,” said Council Chair Shawn Wooden.

The first measure will allow a committee of inquiry to look into why the registrars failed to get voter lists to several polling places. The first meeting is scheduled for Friday at 4; 30 p.m. at city hall.

The second measure will look at the way the registrars’ office operates and recommend changes. This will looked at by the council’s operations, management, budget and legislative affairs committee.

Alexander Aponte will chair the committee, which includes Council members Cynthia a Jennings, Raul DeJesus and David McDonald. Council member Shawn Wooden will participate as a nonvoting member.

Mayor Pedro Segarra issued a statement to the press, saying: “I want to get to the bottom of what happened on Election Day, but more importantly make whatever changes are necessary to ensure voters can cast their ballot when they are supposed to.”

The committee will use its subpoena power to get documents and force registrars to testify about what happened on Nov. 4.

The committee is expected to finish its work by Dec. 31.

Posted in HartfordComments (0)

Advertise Here

Like Our Facebook Page

Sound Off Hartford!

Join Us On Twitter


Email Us: editor

@thehartfordguardian.com