Archive | May, 2018

Hartford Police Department Seeks New Recruits


HARTFORD — Beginning June 4, the Hartford Police Department will be accepting applications for new recruits.

The department is seeking Hartford residents and nonresidents for its police force. Applicants must be 21 years or older at the time of application, must provide proof of citizenship and possess a high school diploma or GED and a valid driver’s license.

Applicant will face an examination process that includes a physical ability test, a written and an oral test. Applications will be accepted until July 13.

To be appointed, candidates must also pass a drug test a background investigation, a polygraph examination, a psychological examination and an interview with the Chief of Police. Each candidate will also have a one-year probationary period after graduating from the police academy.

Applications will be available at policeapp.com/HartfordCT or by emailing JoinHPD@hartford.gov. Applicants can also call 860-757-4233 if they have questions.

Posted in Hartford, NeighborhoodComments (0)

East Hartford Police to Participate in Torch Run


EAST HARTFORD — This June, the East Hartford Police will join other police departments around the state to “carry the torch” for a noble cause.

More than 20 East Hartford police officers will escort the Connecticut Special Olympics Torch through East Hartford on June 7 as part of the 2018 Law Enforcement Torch Run.

This multi-day event raises money and awareness about special olympics in Connecticut. The East Hartford Police Department has run this event since its inception in 1986.

Chief Scott Sansom said: “It is an honor to participate, to help ‘carry the torch’ for such a noble cause. The courage and dedication displayed by Special Olympics athletes is an inspiration for all.”

The East Hartford leg of the Torch Run will begin  at 12 p.m.  on June 7, when the South Windsor PD passes the torch at the South Windsor / East Hartford Town Line on Ellington Road.

The EHPD will carry the torch down Ellington Road and Main Street, passing Town Hall, to the Glastonbury Town Line, where they will hand it off to the Glastonbury Police Department.

For more information, and an approximate schedule, please consult the Special Olympics of Connecticut Website at: http://www.soct.org/ways-give/lawenforcement-torch-run

Posted in East Hartford, HartfordComments (0)

Connecticut Advocates Blast DeVos For Saying Schools Can Welcome ICE


Immigration advocates in the state and the Connecticut office of the ACLU blasted Education Secretary Betsy DeVos for saying that a school can chose to call Immigration and Customs Enforcement on students believed to be undocumented.

“Children should be able to trust and learn from their teachers, not face the prospect of educators becoming deputized informants for ICE,” said David McGuire, executive director of the ACLU of Connecticut. “Any Connecticut school that reports a child to ICE would violate the Constitution and contribute to fear and disruption in the classroom and wider community.”

During a U.S. House of Representatives education committee hearing on Tuesday, DeVos said whether a school reports a student to ICE is “a school decision, it’s a local community decision.”

“I refer to the fact that we have laws and we also are compassionate,” DeVos said. “I urge this body to do its job and address and clarify where there is confusion around this.”

DeVos’ statements caused a furor among advocacy groups, who pointed out that under the Supreme Court case Plyler v Doe, all children — undocumented or not –are entitled to a free public education.

Last year, Gov. Dannel Malloy sent the state’s school superintendents a letter urging them to protect their students from ICE officials.

“We encourage you having a plan in place in the event that an ICE agent comes to your school requesting information about or access to a student,” the governor said. “In developing a plan for your district, you should consult with your district’s attorney.”

Connecticut State Colleges and Universities (CSCU) also has a protocol for interacting with ICE.

Lucas Codognolla, an immigrant advocate and director of CT Students for a Dream, a group of young undocumented immigrants who were brought to the United States as children by their parents, said DeVos’ statement “is a message meant to produce fear in our communities.”

“No student should feel at risk or threatened when seeking to pursue their education,” he said.

Meanwhile, Sen, Richard Blumenthal on Wednesday joined a group of Democrats who wrote to DeVos about the dismissal of more than 500 disability rights complaints by the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR).

“These dismissals are the result of OCR’s new protocol for addressing complaints as outlined in the recently updated Case Processing Manual,” the Democrats wrote. “We fear this standard may be used to dismantle students’ civil rights throughout the department.”

 

Posted in Business, Featured, NationComments (0)

Latino Fund to Host Discussion on Impact of Hurricane Maria


HARTFORD — The Latino Endowment Fund at the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving will be hosting a discussion on the local impacts of Hurricanes Irma and Maria have had on the Greater Hartford region.

The event, which is free and open to the public, will be on May 31 from 5:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at The Lyceum at 227 Lawrence St. in Hartford.

The event will feature a panel discussion with individuals who have been working with displaced residents from Puerto Rico and the Islands including: Dr. Leslie Torres-Rodriquez, Superintendent, Hartford Public Schools; Aura Alvarado, Director of Communications and Community Relations, Capitol Region Education Council; Dr. Charles Venator-Santiago, University of Connecticut,  El Instituto for Latino Studies and Wildaliz Bermudez, Councilwoman, City of Hartford

In November 2017, the Hartford Foundation established the Respond-Rebuild-Renew Fund in response to the growing needs faced by individuals and families relocating to Greater Hartford following natural disasters.

In response to the lack of data on the long-term impact of displaced individuals and families relocating to Greater Hartford, the Hartford Foundation awarded a $47,280 grant to the University of Connecticut’s El Instituto: Institute for Latina/o Caribbean and Latin American Studies and the Center for Puerto Rican Studies at Hunter College to launch a survey to better understand the long-term impact of displacement on the Greater Hartford region.

University of Connecticut Professor Charles Venator-Santiago will present some of the key findings of this survey at the event.

This event is open to the public but those who would like to attend must RSVP at www.hfpg.org/events<http://www.hfpg.org/events> and enter the code LEFReliefUpdate. Seating is limited and registration will be closed on May 29.

Posted in Business, Nation, NeighborhoodComments (0)

Hartford to Host Drill and Drum Team Competition


HARTFORD — Get ready for the rumble and tumble.

Hartford’s Proud Drill, Drum and Dance Team will host its fourth annual Stomp The Violence East Coast Explosion Drill and Drum Team competition on May 26 at Dunkin Donuts Stadium.

The event will begin at 4 p.m. at the Stadium 1214 Main Street in Hartford and is expected to host team from New York, Philadelphia, Delaware and others from the northeast.

The reigning champions, including Brooklyn Unite, are expected to return this Saturday.

Tickets are $10 in advance and $15 at the door. To order tickets, go to www.eventbrite.com/e/stomp-the-violence-tickets Or call Terry Starks at 860-913-8282.

Posted in A & E, Business, Hartford, NeighborhoodComments (0)

GMChorale to Host Festive Gala for Music Lovers


MIDDLETOWN — The members of the GMChorale invite friends and music lovers to join them for a festive gala event in Middletown.

With 80 singers from 34 Connecticut towns, the GMChorale is known for its compelling performances of choral masterworks and the commissioning of new music from emerging and established composers.

The event will befrom 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. on June 10 at the Wadsworth Mansion at Long Hill, 421 Wadsworth St. in Middletown.

The GMChorale just completed its 41st season with an electrifying performance of Jepthe, a ground-breaking but seldom-performed oratorio by the early Baroque composer Giacomo Carissimi.

At the June 10 gala, the GMChorale will celebrate the season just ended, announce programs for the upcoming season, and thank and honor Artistic Director Joseph D’Eugenio, who has led the artistic programs for twenty years.

Attendees will enjoy music and conversation at the Wadsworth Mansion, a beautifully restored grand property nestled into the gently rolling hills of Middletown. During the event, guests may partake of fine food, an open bar for beer, wine and soft drinks, and a cash bar for mixed drinks.

A variety of tempting gifts and experiences will be on auction, including a week at a Maine vacation spot; a special weekend in Stockbridge, Mass., including tickets to Tanglewood; framed artwork from Ursel’s Web; tickets to Long Wharf Theater, the Hartford Symphony Orchestra’s Talcott Mountain Music Festival, the Yard Goats, and an array of museums and cultural centers; and an abundance of gift baskets.

Tickets for the GMChorale’s Summer Gala are just $75 each; reservations are required by May 26, 2018. Order online atwww.gmchorale.org or write to info@gmchorale.org.

Posted in A & E, NeighborhoodComments (0)

William Caspar Graustein Celebrates 25 Years


HAMDEN — The William Caspar Graustein Memorial Fund on Thursday will be hosting a series of celebratory events to commemorate 25 years of philanthropic service in Connecticut.

The year-long celebration will kick-off with a launch event on May 17, 2018, to reflect on the successes won, lessons learned, and stories told throughout the years, organizers said. The event will be from 5:30 p.m. to  7:30 p.m. at 2319 Whitney Ave # 2B in Hamden.

The kick-off celebration will bring together those grantees and other supporters of the Memorial Fund from the last 25 years and will feature words from the organization’s trustees and current and former executive directors.

In addition to a launch and closing event, the Memorial Fund host six regional events that bring together past and present grantees, partners and community members. These events will take place in New Haven, Bridgeport, Waterbury, Hartford, New London, and Middletown.

The Memorial Fund opened its doors in Connecticut 25 years ago with a mission to improve the effectiveness of education. Three years ago the organization adopted a new mission to focus on achieving equity in education by working with those affected and ending racism and poverty.

Posted in Business, NeighborhoodComments (0)

Tags: ,

CPTV To Air Documentary of Barnes Group


HARTFORD — CPTV will be airing a documentary to commemorate the 160th anniversary of respected Connecticut manufacturer Barnes Group, Inc. The documentary will be previewed at a June 16 celebration in Hartford.

Barnes Group has a long and storied history of innovation and technological advancement in manufacturing.  A business that began in 1857, as a small U.S. spring manufacturer in Bristol, Connecticut, has become a global industrial and aerospace manufacturer and service provider, serving a wide range of end markets and customers. Highlights from Barnes Group’s illustrious history include providing the springs used in spacesuits for Astronaut John Glenn’s first orbital flight around the earth in 1962, the Apollo 11 lunar spacecraft in 1969, and NASA’s Curiosity Rover in 2012.

Representatives said they hope the documentary will “shine a light on the state’s rich manufacturing heritage and inspire a new generation of innovators to carry it forward.”

The June 16, 2018 celebration will be held at the Hartford Marriott Downtown starting at 6 p.m., both to celebrate Barnes Group’s legacy and to unveil the upcoming Connecticut Public documentary “The Barnes Way, A Connecticut Original Goes Global.”

The documentary shows how Barnes Group’s culture built on values and its market leadership based on expertise and innovation has fueled its global growth.

Proceeds from the event will benefit “Made in Connecticut,” Connecticut Public’s multi-platform commitment to highlighting Connecticut’s rich manufacturing base – past, present and future.

The documentary is scheduled to premiere locally on CPTV, June 19 at 8 p.m.

Posted in Business, HartfordComments (0)

Capital to Hold Summer Program


HARTFORD — Capital Community College will hold a summer computer science program for students.

The program for children 12 to 15 will provide an active and fun loving environment for students while introducing them to computer science, organizers said.

The program will run July 9 to July 29 from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. The cost is $200 per student. Need based scholarships are available for Hartford and East Hartford students.

Students will learn how to design and create webpages and mobile apps on Android smartphones.  They will also be introduced to a range of programming tools and will participate in leadership activities to build skills in team working problem solving critical thinking and presentation.

To apply, parents or guardians must complete an application at www.capitalcc.edu/csprogram and send completed application forms to sfreeman@capitalcc.edu or mail to Summer  CS Programs, Capital Community College, 950 Main Street, Hartford, CT 06103. Att: Seth Freeman

Posted in East Hartford, Hartford, YouthComments (0)

Pulitzer Prize Board Will Review Junot Díaz Sexual-Misconduct Claims


By Anne Branigin, The Root

Author Junot Díaz is stepping down from his role as chairman of the Pulitzer Prize board following allegations of sexual misconduct. The board says that it will investigate allegations of harassment against Díaz, who remains on the board.

As The Guardian reports, the 49-year-old writer, himself a Pulitzer Prize winner, was elected Pulitzer Prize board chairman in April, the same month the New Yorker published an essay in which Díaz revealed that he was raped as a child.

In that essay, Díaz also disclosed—to varying degrees—the harm he caused women as a result of his rape, which happened at the hands of a “grownup [he] truly trusted.”

Last week, on a Sidney Writers’ Festival panel, writer Zinzi Clemmons publicly confronted the revered Dominican-American writer over the harm he caused her when he forcibly kissed her six years ago while she was a graduate student at Columbia University.

Clemmons, who was 26 at the time, had invited Díaz to speak at a campus workshop on representation in literature when, she says, he cornered her and kissed her without her consent. After the May 4 panel, Clemmons repeated the allegations on Twitter, where they were quickly shared and discussed.

“I’m far from the only one he’s done this to, I refuse to be silent anymore,” Clemmons wrote. Sure enough, more women spoke up with stories about Díaz, saying that the writer had made misogynistic comments and acted aggressively or inappropriately toward them.

In a statement made to the New York Times, Díaz said that he “took responsibility for [his] past,” adding that it was the reason he “made the decision to tell the truth of my rape and its damaging aftermath.”

“This conversation is important and must continue,” read the statement. “I am listening to and learning from women’s stories in this essential and overdue cultural movement. We must continue to teach all men about consent and boundaries.”

The Pulitzer’s board said that Díaz welcomes the review and will cooperate fully with its investigation, according to The Guardian.

MIT, where Díaz works as a professor, says it’s also looking into the recent allegations.

Posted in A & E, Featured, NationComments (0)

  • Latest News
  • Tags
  • Subscribe
Advertise Here