Share |

Hartford Mayor Rejects Treasurer’s Salary Increase

Updated: Tuesday 12:39 p.m.

HARTFORD — Mayor Pedro Segarra has put the Hartford City Council on notice that he has vetoed a resolution to increase the treasurer’s salary.

The council will address the matter at Monday’s meeting in City Hall at 550 Main Street.

In a letter dated Nov. 30 to City Council President rjo Winch, Segarra outlined his reason for rejecting a raise for Adam Cloud.

The mayor cited Article 11, Section 2 of the state’s constitution, which states that the decision to increase Cloud’s salary rests with the incoming city council —not the outgoing council.

The mayor’s veto came two days after the Hartford City Council voted for a resolution to increase the city treasurer’s salary.

Seven council members approved a $10, 000 salary hike for  Cloud to take effect January 1, 2012. Cloud’s annual salary would be $150,000.

The city ordinance authorizes 75 percent of the treasurer’s salary from the city’s pension fund. The other 25 percent comes from the city’s general operating budget.

Email us: editor@thehartfordguardian.com
LIKE Us on Facebook
  • Latest News
  • Tags
  • Subscribe
Advertise Here
Your SEO optimized title